Monday, February 8, 2010

Customer Disservice

A few months ago, I decided it was time to get my daughter a cell phone. Not as a vehicle for endless calls and texts with friends, not to download the latest apps, not to spend endless hours playing Brickbreaker or Sudoku. The phone was a "just in case" kind of thing. The only "bell or whistle" was the $5/month text messaging package, so that she could text me, her Dad, her grandparents or other essential guardian-types without doing major financial damage.

I signed her up with the wireless carrier I've used for years. Without naming the company in question, let's just say it's one of the major carriers. Let's also say that their customer service - or disservice - is the inspiration for this post. Without going into excruciating detail, here are the basics:

The young woman who sold me the phone apparently did not apply the $5/month texting package to my daughter's line. After a few months of surprisingly high phone bills, I finally caught on to what was happening. My daughter was sending close to 200 texts/month (based upon her 250 "paid" texts) and I was getting charged 25 cents for each and every one.

There were some other errors, as well, all of which added up to significant overcharges to my account.

Again, to save you the gory details (although it feels sorta good to vent my extreme level of frustration about all of this), I'll simply tell you that my carrier's customer service was atrocious. I spoke with two customer service reps, a supervisor and the young lady who sold me the phone in the first place. Nobody was willing to help. Apparently, it was all my fault, for not having checked my bill and complained early on in the process. According to the supervisor who ultimately took my call, "If it was that important to you, you would have checked the bill and called us right away." I told him that his comment was a fabulous way to calm down an angry customer and to keep up the good work.

Long story short, there's still tremendous value in trusting your customers and doing the right thing. Sure, you'll sometimes come across someone who's trying to pull a fast one. You'll think to yourself that no, the customer is not always right. But more often than not, your customers and clients will have valid concerns. Hear them out, make reasonable accommodations, take responsibility if you haven't met their needs.

A happy customer is a repeat customer. A satisfied client will refer you to others. Bottom line, good customer service builds a great reputation, is the right thing to do and will serve you and your clients extremely well.

Until next time...

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment