Monday, August 17, 2009

A Goal is a Dream...


A goal is a dream with a deadline.
- Napoleon Hill

I am just now putting the finishing touches on my upcoming talk (as in, this Thursday, August 20th) for the Career Networking Group of Basking Ridge, NJ. The topic: Practical Goal-Setting: From Intent to Achievement!

It's a talk I've given before but I always like to revise and tailor my speeches for the given audience. In revamping my comments for Thursday's group, I decided to include the above quote by Napoleon Hill. I think it's really a terrific way to think about goals. The fact is, we live in a world of deadlines, quotas, to-do's and must-do's. Often we are asked to pursue goals that don't have much personal meaning or significance. And while we can probably pull them off - at least to some extent - achieving someone else's goals isn't likely to provide us with a strong sense of accomplishment, pride or fulfillment.

So let me ask you: What are your dreams? How can you set inspiring goals to help you fulfill those dreams?

I'll be writing a number of posts over the coming weeks to help you set goals with personal and professional meaning, relevance, and motivational staying power. Tune in for more. And if you happen to be in Basking Ridge on Thursday, come join me. The event is free and open to the public. I hope to see you there!

Until next time...

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment