Monday, August 10, 2009

Take Control of Your Time


Take control of your time. You'll be amazed at how focused, efficient and productive you can be.

Okay, here it is, almost 11:00 on a Monday morning, and I haven't yet made an appreciable dent in today's list of important and time-sensitive tasks. Now don't get me wrong, I haven't exactly been sitting around eating Bon Bons. (Makes me wonder, does anyone actually sit around eating Bon Bons? Surely there are other ways to kick back and kill a little time. But I digress...) In the past couple of hours, I've answered emails, read a couple of good articles, posted some timely tweets and engaged in a variety of other useful but non-urgent activities.

Does this sound familiar? How often do you find your morning, afternoon, even your entire day slipping away as you engage in a host of never-scheduled-yet-always-there-to-steal-your-attention, time-sucking activities?

Time is a precious commodity. As we all know, there are never enough hours in the day. So here's where I encourage you to do as I say, not as I (sometimes, I must admit) do. Decide what you absolutely must accomplish in a given day. Schedule these essential and perhaps time-sensitive activities for the very beginning of the day. Tackle them before you scan the morning's emails and don't allow yourself to get distracted. See how much you can achieve before 11 am.

When you take charge of your time in this way, you'll be amazed at how focused, efficient and productive you can be.

Until next time...

Liz

1 comment:

  1. Posted for Marie-Josée Salvas:

    Thanks Liz for this suggestion.  I wholeheartedly agree with you and on days where I am more proactive with my most important activities, I always feel more accomplished and satisfied than on days I don’t. So what I’ve started to do is pay attention to my energy levels.  I have noticed that I am most focused and effective mid morning and early afternoon, so I keep that time for the more challenging and important tasks.  Capitalizing on our circadian rhythm is a good way to increase productivity and satisfaction while following the path of least resistance.

    Best to all,
    MarieJ

    http://www.myoptimaliving.com

    ReplyDelete