Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Effective Goal-Setting Tip #5: What's the Point?

To set relevant goals, you've got to ask yourself, What's the point? Why am I shooting for this goal? Does it really mean something to me? To my family? Will it help further my career? Will it improve my relationships? Make me stronger, healthier, better able to manage stress? What's the significance at this particular point in my life?

In other words, why bother?

If you can't identify the relevance of a given goal, chances are it's not so relevant after all. And if it's not relevant, you probably won't try all that hard to achieve it. Why should you? Your time is valuable and you've got a lot on your plate. Why push yourself to accomplish something that's just marginally relevant, if that?

Setting goals is a useful activity that can lead to tangible and intangible rewards but only when you remember to build upon Strengths, find your Motivation, build in Accountability, and find the Relevance. Oh and there's just one more thing to bear in mind. Achieving even the best-laid goals is challenging work. It takes time, dedication and real effort. Not to mention tenacity in the face of setbacks. Check back soon for more on the role of Tenacity in achieving your goals.

Until next time...

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment