Monday, October 12, 2009

Recession? Coulda Fooled These Shoppers!


Took the kids to the outlets earlier this month, looking for boots for my daughter (didn't find what we needed) and an ice cream for my son (found exactly what we were looking for!). I'm not sure what I was expecting to see. The last time I visited the outlets was years ago and I recall seeing hoardes of shoppers loaded to the gills with shopping bags. But that was before the Great Recession. It was a time when people spent their money freely and sometimes excessively. I didn't imagine things would look the same this time around.

Was I ever wrong! The place was absolutely mobbed. Wall to wall people. Some were even waiting in lines to get into their favorite shops (including the Coach outlet and the Ugg store). What's more, they were obviously doing more than window shopping. Multiple bags in tow, they made their way across the vast retail complex.

Does this suggest that the Great Recession is truly lifting? Is consumer confidence on the rise? While my visit to the outlets doesn't qualify as a rigorous economic analysis, I was certainly encouraged by what I saw.

What do you think? Are we finding our way out of the woods?

Perhaps more to the point, are you ready for the Great Recovery?

Until next time...

Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment