Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Career Success Tip #17: How to Stand Out in the Crowd

Sometimes it really is the small stuff that makes all the difference.

On my drive home from an out-of-town meeting yesterday, I decided to make a quick stop at the bank. The branch I stopped at isn't my home branch, so this was my first time there. It was pouring outside and I made my way to the entrance of the bank with umbrella, purse, and car keys in hand, trying not to get completely drenched.

When I got to the entrance, there was a bank employee waiting there, holding the door open for me, smiling warmly and welcoming me. Now, while my local branch is full of friendly and helpful employees, no one has ever held the door and welcomed me in this way. I have to tell you, it felt very nice. This same fellow opened the door for me when my transaction was complete, thanked me for my business and wished me a wonderful day. Again, very nice.

Was this extra layer of customer service really necessary? Would I have noticed or missed being welcomed to the bank, had there been no one waiting at the door? Certainly not. But it was a lovely added touch that made me want to return to that branch in the future.

So here's something for you to consider: How do you differentiate yourself from colleagues and competitors? How do you make yourself especially valuable and memorable to your clients, boss or team?

To truly stand out in the crowd, you've got to go beyond simply doing your job well. Instead, you've got to go the extra mile and add value in a unique and impressive way.

After all, sometimes it really is the small stuff that makes all the difference.

Until next time...

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment