Monday, July 20, 2009

The Importance of Stretch


To be successful and fulfilled in your career - and in life - remember to stretch yourself on a consistent basis.

Earlier this month, I flew out to California and had the great delight of hitting the beach in Carlsbad (San Diego area) with my three awesome nephews and wonderful sister-in-law. As I wasn't traveling with my own kids, I took advantage of the opportunity to kick back on my beach chair, open a leisure book and simply relax. I watched my nephews hit the waves on their boogie boards and smiled and waved as my sister-in-law succumbed to their earnest requests that she join them in the water. Looked like fun, but hey, I was in relaxation mode.

Until, that is, my nephew, Noah, asked me to boogie board with him. Now this kid is sweet as can be and, in truth, very difficult to refuse. So, despite my desire to just vegetate in my beach chair, my concern about the 'chilly' water, and just a bit of trepidation about hitting the waves, I got off my behind and joined him in the surf. He gave me some pointers on catching the waves properly and offered me his board.

Let me tell you, it was one of the most fun and exhilarating experiences I have ever had. What a complete joy to catch and ride a wave right up to the beach line. I mean, I was smiling ear to ear and literally laughing out loud!

The point? Well, boogie boarding initially felt like a real stretch for me. I'd never done any sort of surfing before and was far more comfortable just staying put in my beach chair with my book. But once I'd ventured out and pushed beyond my comfort zone, the reward was tremendous. I felt more confident, competent, masterful, proud, adventurous, and eager to take on the next challenge. (This challenge came just two days later, by the way, when my brother took me for a ride on his Spyder roadster - check out the link, it's very cool! But that's a whole other story...)

To be successful and fulfilled in your career - and in life - remember to stretch yourself on a consistent basis. Extend your comfort zone. Try new things, move beyond what you've already experienced and mastered. If you feel intimidated or unsure, that's probably a good sign. As the saying goes, feel the fear and do it anyway! That's the key to continued growth and a well-earned sense of accomplishment.

Until next time...

Liz

1 comment:

  1. Posted for Marie-Josée Salvas 8/5/2009:

    Great story, Liz!  I enjoyed reading it and I agree with the lesson.
    It's also very true that wisdom usually comes to us while relaxing rather than when under stress. The tricky part is to remember to bring this wisdom in our work life rather than stay comfortably put in our chairs as you cleverly alluded, but you make a good point on how to get it done - feel the fear but do it anyway!
    Thanks for this,
    MarieJ
    www.myoptimalliving.com

    ReplyDelete