Monday, July 6, 2009

What's Your Vision?

Last week, for the first time in years, I attended a yoga class. I loved it! It was somehow simultaneously invigorating and relaxing, and I left the class feeling calm, focused, and reflective.

I went with my neighbor, Linda, who has been encouraging me to join her for some time. Living right next door to me, Linda sees firsthand just how busy and - let’s be honest – how hectic and fragmented my life can sometimes be. Perhaps you can relate.

Do you wear more than one hat? Do you find yourself continually multitasking, as you strive to the meet the demands of your career, the needs of your family, and the desire to make a contribution to your community? Do you struggle to eke out a few minutes each day during which you can get a little exercise, eat a nourishing meal, slow down, flip through a magazine, or read a good book?

If so, it’s time to step back and ask yourself the following: What’s it all for? Where am I heading with all of this activity, all of this busyness? What do I want to achieve – and why do I want to achieve it?

Use the answers to these questions to start developing – or refining - your personal and professional vision. Your vision is what brings meaning and purpose to your everyday activities. It’s what guides and drives you. It’s what brings it all together.

It’s not enough to simply reflect upon these things. Dedicate some time to the process. Write it all down. If you’d like, I’ll be glad to send you my “Career Considerations” worksheet. This is a tool I’ve developed for my coaching clients and you can use it to create your professional vision, personal vision, family vision, organizational vision, community vision… well, you get the idea. Just call 800.846.4546 ext. 103 or send me an email: liz@bywaterconsultinggroup.com.

Until next time…

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment